Experiments and Modeling in Astroparticles and Cosmology
Coordinator: Alexandre MARCOWITH
The Astroparticle Modeling and Experiment (EMA) team studies astrophysical sources emitting non-thermal high-energy radiation produced by relativistic particles or cosmic rays.
The team specializes on the one hand in the study of galactic sources (supernova remnants, pulsar nebulae, massive star clusters), and on the other hand in the study of transient sources (gamma ray bursts, supernovae).
EMA team is involved in several present, FERMI, HESS and future experiments CTA, SVOM. The EMA team is also involved in the LSST project.
The team has developed a specialization ranging from instrumentation (LIDAR), data analysis (FERMI, HESS), modeling of physical processes producing high energy emission and ultimately more theoretical works dealing with acceleration and transport of cosmic rays, in particular by means of numerical simulations (using magnetohydrodynamic codes such as RAMSES, and AMR-VAC coupled to kinetic modules) and analytical calculations. More recently the team is studying the production of energetic particles of moderately relativistic energies in the environment of young stars.
- High-energy astrophysical explosive sources studies : supernovae, gamma-ray bursts.
- High-energy astrophysical cosmic ray sources studies: supernova remnants, pulsar wind nebulae, massive star clusters.
- Theory of Cosmic rays : production, acceleration, propagation. Analytical studies and numerical simulations.
- Accreting systems – jets : compact objects, young stars.
- Interstellar medium: feed back, dust.
- Dark Matter and Dark Energy
IN2P3 Projects,INSU National Programs, Observations Services, others
- Fermi, H.E.S.S., CTA, SVOM, LSST
- Instrumental Projects: LIDAR (HESS), LIDAR RAMAN (CTA)
- Johann Cohen-Tanugi (LSST, Fermi, data analysis, modeling)
- Justine Devin (HESS, CTA, data analysis, modeling)
- Yves Gallant (HESS, CTA, data analysis, modeling, theory)
- Claire Guépin (modeling, theory) (arrival date 02/2023)
- Alexandre Marcowith (theory, HESS, CTA)
- Eric Nuss (LSST, Fermi, data analysis)
- Mathieu Renaud (Fermi, HESS, CTA, data analysis, modeling)
- Frédéric Piron (Fermi, SVOM, data analysis)
- Georges Vasileiadis (HESS, CTA, instrumentation)
- Vincent Guillet (IAS), dust dynamics in the interstellar medium
- Christophe Sauty (LUTH), accretion-ejection processes around young stars and compact objects
- Arthur Charlet (2018-2021, supervisers : A. Marcowith & Rolf Walder (CRAL-ENS)), Numerical studies of relativistic jets from high mass X-ray binaries.
- Lorenzo Scotton (2019-2022, superviser : F. Prion) : Analysis and interpretation of Fermi Gamma-Ray Bursts, implications for SVOM and CTA, and contribution to the multi-messenger astronomy.
- Valentin BRUNN (2020-2023, supervisers: A. Marcowith & C. Sauty) : Impact of energetic particles in the environment of TTauri stars.
- Aurélia Maïolo (2020-2023, superviser : F. Piron) : Cross-calibration of the ECLAIRs and GRM instruments, and first GRB studies at high energy with SVOM
- Chadi Meskini (2021-2024, superviser C. Sauty & A. Marcowith) : Sources of heating in accretion-ejection processes around young stellar objects
- Kélian Sommer (2021-2024, supervisers E. Nuss & B. Plez) : Preparation to cosmological data analysis of the LLST at Vera Rubin observatory: characterization of atmospheric absorption
- Anabella Araudo (2021-2023, Marie-Curie fellowship)
- Anabella Araudo
- Roger Blandford
- Maria-Grazia Bernardini
- Andrei Bykov
- Pierre Cristofari
- Gloria Dubner
- Vikram Dwarkadas
- Don Ellison
- Elsa Giacani
- Gwenael Giacinti
- Claire Guépin
- Noémie Globus
- Marco Padovani
- Arno Vanthieghem
Former members of the team
- J.Bregeon, A.Jacholkowska, A.Falvard, F.Feinstein
Former post-doctoral fellows
- Nukri Komin (2005-2007)
- Serguei Vorobiov (2009-2011)
- Vlasios Vasileiou (2011-2013)
- Carlos Vigh (2012-2014)
- Marco Padovani (2014-2016)
- Ryan Chaves (2014-2017)
- Annabella Araudo (2017)
- Maria-Grazia Bernardini
- Quentin Rémy (2017-2019)
- Atreyee Sinha (2020-2022)
- Allard Jan van Marle (2020-2022)
Former PhD ranked by thesis defense year.
- Agneszka Pléti (stopped)
- Sylvain Guiriec (2007)
- Armand Fiasson (2008)
- Christian Farnier (2009)
- Véronique Pelassa (2010)
- Jérémie Méhault (2011)
- Lola Faletti (2013)
- Diane Fernandez-Gangoso (2014)
- Thibaut Desgardin (2015)
- Romain Cohet (2016)
- Manal Yassine (2017)
- Justine Devin (2018)
- Michelle Tsirou (2019)
- Loann Brahimi (2020)
- Arthur Charlet (2021)